Today, it’s 1 month until we go on holiday. The sea, the sun, the seafood, the anise aperitive drinks on the port watching the sun set, the noise of the weekly market, I can’t wait. But before that, it is time to work on our bikini bodies and try and eat well. One month, surely even we can do it. *Cough-yeah-right-cough*
- First rule: drinks loads of water to trick your stomach into thinking it’s full.
- Second rule: salad is your best friend.
- Third rule: put that cookie back in the jar.
We love salad, it shouldn’t be too difficult. As long as we make sure our salads are not boring and can get us excited for 31 long days, we’ll be good. At this point, I don’t know who I’m trying to convince: you or myself.
Anyway, let’s give it a try. And to start with, here’s a good one we made and loved.
Smoked salmon salad with spicy lemon dressing
- 500 grams of new potatoes, skin on (I never peel potato – except for mash of course, I’m not an animal)
- 200 grams of asparagus
- Mixed salad leaves of your choice
- 1 red pepper sliced roughly
- 140 gram of radishes, cut in thin slices
- 120 grams of smoked salmon, cut into chunks
- half a cucumber, diced
- For the dressing: the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard, 125 ml of olive oil, dry chilli flakes, salt.
Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10 mins. Boil the asparagus in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain, sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil and salt and leave to cool.
In a large bowl, toss the salad leaves, peppers and radish slices together, pour half of the dressing and mix well so all vegetables are coated in dressing.
Spread this salad on a plate, place potatoes and asparagus on top of the salad, then the chunks of smoked salmon. Pour the rest of the dressing to taste.
Et voila! Healthy, fresh, tasty salad that is probably not bad for your waistline… (or, you could add a poached egg on top and make it naughty again. But sshhhhh….). No, seriously, what’s great in this dish is the variety of textures and temperatures: hot mushy potatoes, crunchy radishes, soft cold salmon. It is also the kind of dish that makes you feel good because it tastes so fresh and healthy, I mean you almost don’t care if it is actually healthy because it makes you feel good about yourself anyway. Finally, because the salmon is smoked, you can keep this salad in the fridge overnight, and bring the coolest lunch box to work the next day. Who knew you could become the cool kid in the office all thanks to a salad?